Sunday, April 3, 2011

One busy weekend!

This weekend the DIY Mad Scientist had a full plate. It started on Friday night with finishing up rehabbing a firepit and collecting some worm tea fertilizer from the worm composter, Saturday was brushcutting the backyard, priming 6 honey supers, making gingerbread and attending a cookout. Sunday included more yardwork, putting a small fence around the garden bed, and finished off with a steak dinner. Yum!

There will more on the worm composter and garden later, but here is the DIY Mad Scientist's abbreviated guide to steak.

There are many cuts of steak to chose from. For grilling the Mad Scientist prefers the following cuts of steak: Ribeye, Strip Steak, Porterhouse, T-bone and Tenderloin also known as filet mignon. Tonight, I grilled a New York Strip Steak. I find most steaks to be too huge to be a single serving so often I will cook one porterhouse or strip steak to split between two people. That way there's also more room for side dishes!

My favorite thing to marinate my steaks in is a mixture of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, worceshire sauce, basil, dijon mustard, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic (fresh minced or powder.) I don't have a specific recipe, I just do what looks and smells to be the proportions for my taste. I like to let the steak marinate for at least a half an hour to an hour, at room temperature for the last 20 minutes before it's gonna hit the grill.

Heat the grill up to between 450 - 500 degrees and cook a strip steak over direct heat for 6-10 minutes depending on the level of doneness you desire, turning it once. I do 8 minutes so it just barely hits medium doneness.  After you remove your steak from the grill, allow it to rest for 5 minutes before cooking so that the internal juices can distribute evenly.

For sides tonight, I had baked potato and corn on the cob. The butter boy came out to play with the corn for the first time this season and this year he brought some friends to help out!

No comments:

Post a Comment