Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Mustard should be the food of the gods, not ambrosia.

I won't deny it, I love mustard. I love it with such a passion that I have around 8 different kinds in my fridge on any given day.


I even make mustard. In fact, that's what is on tap in the lab tonight. My friend Nikki is having a cookout this weekend and she wants some of my homemade mustard. The first step is to take mustard seeds and soak them in a mix of beer and vinegar. The beer I am using for this batch is an IPA. Homebrewed IPA to be exact. It is a beer that Andrea and I brewed a couple of months ago that is a clone of Bell's Two-Hearted Ale.

Pic of first step in making mustard - The soak



I have to admit I give mad props to whomever decided that mustard seeds held the potential to create the most delicious condiment ever and also the person who said, " Hey let's boil up this grain, add some yeast, ferment it and drink it" Sometimes crazy begets awesome.

As a side note. I did the first stir of the fish fertilizer tonight. Not too gross smelling yet. Incidentally, one of the "recipes" for it had a warning note that although it is organic, it should not be consumed. In my opinion if you are dumb enough to try to eat it, you should, and hopefully it'll have the same effect as adding some chlorine to the gene pool.

3 comments:

  1. OMG I love mustard too! Have you tried Kyle's Mustard yet? it's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate mustard.

    Did that just end our friendship?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ AKmann, I will have to try Kyle's mustard!

    @ CA, yes, our friendship is over thanks to that comment. You are now dead to me . . .

    ReplyDelete